What Is Radon?
Radon is a radioactive gas that originates from rocks and soils and tends to concentrate in enclosed spaces, such as underground mines or houses. Soil gas infiltration is acknowledged as the most critical source of residential radon.
Radon is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas, with no immediate health symptoms, which originates from the breakdown of uranium inside the earth. According to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates, one in every 15 homes nationwide has a high radon level at or above the recommended radon action level of 4 picoCuries (pCi/L) per liter of air.
Every home has radon; the question is how much?
Why Test for Radon?
The EPA and the Surgeon General of The United States both make it very clear, "all homes should be tested for Radon." The Surgeon General has warned that Radon exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America. It is responsible for over 20,000 deaths annually. Read more here. Yes, exposure is known to cause cancer. The number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers is radon. Millions of homes have an elevated level. Furthermore, those who smoke are at a higher risk due to a strong combined effect.
Radon levels can be mitigated once they are known to be in your home. Concentrations of 4 picocuries per liter, or pCi/L, or higher are too high for homes. Levels less than 4 pCi/L still pose a risk, and in most cases, these levels can be significantly reduced.
Could radon be in my home if I live in an area with low average levels?
The truth is, your home could have a radon problem, whether it is located in an area with a high potential or low, it does not matter if your home is old or new, low efficiency and drafty or high efficiency, or the type of foundation. Because it is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas, there are no physical signs that will warn you of the presence of radon in a home. (There is no bad smell, no indicative signs of the gas.) Moreover, exposure to radon has no warning signs or symptoms. (It does not cause nausea, fatigue, headaches, skin rashes.) The only way to know whether your home has a problem or whether you are at risk is to test!
Huron Inspections, LLC has radon certified inspectors to test your home. Your test results are ready immediately after the testing period (usually 48 hours of our equipment in the home gathering samples and data).
Leave a comment if the article was helpful or if you have additional thoughts.
Please comment below with any questions or give me a call at (810)637-1023.